Carocell produces safe, high quality potable water from any source including seawater, groundwater and contaminated or polluted water. It also incorporates Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) technology, when panels are in a series, which converts waste brine into drinking water and valuable fractionalised salts (table salt, pool salt and magnesium chloride – used for dust suppression in the mining industry).
Carocell is the most efficient and cost effective product of its kind. Independent testing by world-renowned engineering firm ARUP found Carocell to be twice as solar efficient as comparable products. When combined with ZLD, Carocell is also significantly cheaper than commonly used reverse osmosis technology.
F CUBED is receiving an extremely high level of international interest in Carocell from offices in 20 countries.
Carocell technology was developed with the following information in mind:
- The World Health Organization estimates over one billion people lack access to purified drinking water
- It is estimated by Soteris Kalogirou (PhD, MEng, Eurlng, CEng, M-CIBSE, M-ASHRAE, M-ISES) that to produce 1,000,000 litres of desalinated freshwater per day using energy hungry methods such as Reverse Osmosis membrane technology requires 27.397 tonnes of oil per day. Assuming oil costs 40c/kg then it costs $10.96 / 1000 litres
- Single effect solar stills have historically had an efficiency of 30 – 40%
- Carocell has an efficiency averaging 55 – 65% solar energy to distilled water with peak efficiencies over 80%
- Typical requirement for distilled water is 5 litres per person per day
- The quality of Carocell distilled water is very high because all the salts, inorganic and organic components and microbes are left behind in the bath. Under reasonable conditions of sunlight the temperature of the water will rise sufficiently to kill all pathogenic bacteria
- After five years of intensive worldwide research and testing, F CUBED has developed its low cost and environmentally friendly Carocell solar desalinating technology